Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cleaning Up a bit...

In an attempt to clean up my plot a bit, I've ignored my messy data points for M35 and UMMG for now. Concentrating on those clusters for which I have many data points...I've also assumed that the Pleiades (published age = 125 Myr) and the IC 2391 Supercluster (published age ~ 100 Myr) are actually the same age, and fitted a curve to the combination of data points. This is a relatively young cluster, and there doesn't seem to be a turnoff present, even for quickly evolving A-stars. There is a bit more scatter for the Castor Moving group, but with only 8 data points, I'm not surprised. Finally, the green points with no fitted line represents A stars in the Hyades cluster (triangles represent stars that are actually classified as sub-giants). This cluster is considerably older (~600 Myr) and may already have some turnoff. In fact, it looks as though the data points I have are all turn-off stars, and therfore it is not reasonable to try and fit a curve to them. As I gather data points for these clusters, I want to see how other papers calculated their stellar evolution isochrones. I could just use a code that someone else has written, but as I work mostly in Python, any code I use will probably require a bit of rewriting anyway. I'm trying to figure out what the popular code for stellar isochrones is (so far it seems like every research group uses their own code...)

2 comments:

  1. Stauffer et al. 2007 has a very nice isochrone for the Pleiades (see Fig 11). Table 4 provides it in text form so you can read it in and overplot it.
    They also mention two theoretical isochrones: Siess et al. 2000 and Baraffe et al. 1998. I've used the Baraffe models a lot as they are very easy to use. A quick google search for "baraffe model" will point you to her website where you can see them as ascii tables (the one you want is probably BCAH98_iso.1).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David...the problem with the Baraffe models is that they do not extend past Teff ~ 6500, and most of the A stars in the DEBRIS list have Teff > 7500. I'll definitely check out the other ones though!

    ReplyDelete