Finished calculating UVWs for DEBRIS targets. Identified stars within the Zuckerman et al. 2004 "good box" where -15<U<0, -34<V<-10, and -20<W<3:
Only 17/274 stars are identified as "possibly young." But because stars inside the "good box" could be polluted by an older population, it is only reasonable to assume that stars outside the box are not young. I've added a column to my database called "UVW oldness marker."
Since you have so few possibly young systems, perhaps you should check those one by one? Perhaps they are known members listed in Torres et al. 2008 or Zuckerman & Song 2004? You can also check X-ray/UV catalogs and see if they are bright and could confirm them as young.
ReplyDeleteBen told me that UV brightness is only an indicator of youngness for M-type (ish) stars. Also, checking them one by one sort of defeats the purpose of using UVWs to choose between age determination methods. After all, which one would I use to check the age? I'm currently going through Zuckerman & Song 2004 as part of my cluster/moving group dating effort...
ReplyDelete