Possibly. The problem here will be limited data on lithium abundances in the literature. Still, it's worth a try to see if I can come up with some equation describing Li (age). Theoretically it should also be a function of stellar mass (or B-V color or logg).
I used some data from Guillout et al. 2009, and don't see any obvious patterns - at least nothing worthy of deriving an age determination equation. Maybe if I have time some day I could create plots like these for clusters of well known ages. But the return will most likely not be worth the effort.
Next up: Cluster dating!

I have a figure in my thesis (if you have a copy?) with EW Li vs V-I (a proxy for spectral type) and color coded by age. It's basically an updated version of the one in Zuckerman & Song (2004) and a bit easier to read.
ReplyDeleteThe main picture is that indeed there is a lot of scatter and is only useful for certain spectral types and generally young ages (<~100 Myr). Chances are that our sample is far older than that.
exactly. I saw isochrones in EW(Li) vs B-V space in a paper by a Madrid-based group, but was told by various DEBRIS people that the numbers may not be entirely trustworthy. The isochrones weren't the most convincing things I've ever seen anyway. I know Sarah has a copy of your thesis (we're bargaining with Ben for the hard copy of it ;) ) so I'll have to read it more thoroughly when I get back to LA.
ReplyDelete