Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Stars References....

I've been going through and re-checking the validity of the A-star measurements of Teff and log(g) that I used to date these stars. As it turns out, ~7 of them were from a catalog that already used a rough version of our rotation correction scheme, so these temperatures would have been grossly over-estimated. I tried to search for the quoted errors in these values so that I could put errorbars on my scatter plot, but the errors were not explicitly stated. Lafrasse et al. 2010 is the most modern paper on my reference list, and they have only the published data available (no reference paper). In their table, they say that log(g) and T were inferred by the spectral type, which was takne from Orosz 1999 which quotes a 0.1 dex error in log(g) for this method, but does not quote an error in T(eff) (I assume ~500K error to be safe, which is ~0.1 dex in log(T)). However, Lafrasse et al. several times quotes log(g) that are drastically different from other sources. Because there is no associated paper, it is hard for me to trust their values, even though they seem to be the only ones with explicitly quoted errors.

The method of Song et al. 2001 was to use Moon & Dworetsky 1985 grids and Napiwotzki et al's "gravity modification", which calculates Teff, log(g) from stromgren photometry.

No comments:

Post a Comment